Today in school we were brought to visit Clontuskert Abbey. We were told all about it by Mr Joe Molloy , Adeline Finneran and Eileen Curly.
They brought us around and we the saw Cloister. This was an area of green grass with so as the monks could get some fresh air and exercise. The area where they walked was originally covered so they did not get wet.
We also saw the chapter room where there was a big oven where they cooked and would sit and chat on cold winter evenings.
We learned that the east gable wall collapsed in 1918 . This destroyed the east window. All the parts of the window were found in the rubble and were rebuilt 54 years after it collapsed.
There is an exact copy of the window in the Basilica in Knock in Co. Mayo.
We saw lots of headstones and we got to read the O’ Kelly Plaque that’s been there since 1646.
This is a tomb under the East window. People thought it was an altar originally.