Aoife Murdock from Dogs Trust is visiting today to teach us how to look after and care for dogs. She is telling us about the dogs that the canine carers look after in Dogs Trust.
• Aoife Murdock came to visit on Thursday 22nd 2017 to talk about Dogs Trust. She is an Education Officer. She told us that Dogs Trust take in stray or lost dogs. Some of them go to the pound to bring some Dogs back.
• There are over 200 dogs in Dogs Trust.
• For the dogs that are unable to leave their kennel, they get volunteers to come in and play with them and read them stories.
• She said if you want to get a dog ask yourself if you have enough time, money and space because dogs live for around 12-15 yrs. That would cost you around 15-20,000 euros.
• A dog will stay in the pound for five days to give the owner a chance to come and get it.
• Dogs have a little microchip in them so if they’re lost the vet can scan it and see the owners name address and contact number.
• Don’t ever give dogs yeast or chocolate. Never pet or disturb a dog while they’re eating because they could growl snap or bite.
• Bring dogs for two walks each day to give them exercise.
• She showed us the proper way to clean up poop.
• You should Always use a lead when walking a dog.
• Ask the owner first. Do the safe hand. Ask where you can pet them in case they have had an operation or are cross