Today we took part in our first Skypeathon call to Turkey. It was a Mystery Skype so we had to work out where our partner school was located across the world. Some of the questions we asked and answers we gave can be seen here:
1. Are you in the Northern Hemisphere or the Southern Hemisphere?
2. Are you near the equator?
3. Do you have a tropical climate?
4. Do you have a temperate climate?
5. What line of latitude are you on? 53 degrees (Longitude -8 degrees)
6. What continent are you in? Europe
7. What time zone are you in? GMT- Greenwich Mean Time
8. What time is it in your country now? 10am
9. Are you in _______?
10. Is English your first language? We also have one other first language.
11. What is your national sport? Hurling and Football
12. Are you a primary school or secondary school?
13. Is your school well known?
14. Can you sing your national anthem?
15. Do you have a team in the six nations? Yes
16. Has your team won the soccer world cup? No
1. Are you coastal?
2. Are you situated north, south, east of west of…?
3. Are you in a city or town?
4. Are you near?
Our Mystery Skype partner school is in Bursa in Turkey. They are located 3951 km from Clontuskert. Bursa is a large city in northwest Turkey, lying in the foothills of Mount Uludağ near the Sea of Marmara. It is 2,500m-high. The city is known for its mosques and historical sites from the early Ottoman Empire. It’s nicknamed “Yeşil Bursa” (Green Bursa), because of its many parks and trees, as well as its beautiful mountains.
• Population: 1.854 million (2015)
• Area: 1,036 km²
• Elevation:100 m above sea level.
We Skyped with Fatih who is a student leader in the school and his class. They are 16 and 17 years old. Read about their school here: niluferaeal.meb.k12.tr/
We then each presented on our Climate Action Project. Find out about Clontuskert’s work here: http://www.climate-action.info/users/murray